Monday, October 09, 2006

Cool Idea for Writing Prompts!

I love writing prompts. If nothing creative is showing itself on that particular day, I go back through a file of writing prompts and pull one out at random. Then I force myself to write at least 500 words on that particular subject, or tailor a story around a particular place, situation, title -- you name it, it probably will work as a prompt to get the creative juices flowing.

Today I was looking through my son's homework from last week and I came across his list of spelling words. Instead of throwing them out (since he has a new list this week, after all), I studied them for a minute. And thought: Voila!

For those parents out there: the next time your child brings home their list of spelling words, use them as your writing prompt. Write a story -- let's say, a thousand words? -- using every one of those words in the story.

Here's the list for this week, to get you started:

blankets
mountains
pairs
pockets
inches
branches
states
bunches
jungles
companies
flies
libraries
enemies
daisies
addresses

If you're sitting there wondering what you should be doing today and procrastinating like crazy, there's your assignment. Get to work!

No comments: