Monday, January 16, 2012

The Erotic Literary Salon

This summer I had the wonderful opportunity to read a few short stories at The Erotic Literary Salon in Philadelphia. The beautiful Susana Mayer was the hostess for a night that included a lovely burlesque dancer, several exceptional readers and a launch party for A Week in the Snow.

I can't say enough good things about Susana. She is a very open and compassionate hostess, filled with true joy in the work she does with the Salon. Her enthusiasm is contagious and drew me in immediately. Within five minutes of meeting her I felt as though she were an old friend.

The Salon was held in the Bohemian Absinthe Lounge, the sexy upstairs area of TIME Restaurant off Samson Street in Philly. Dinner at TIME was delightful and highly recommended, but upstairs was where the action really got into full swing.

That reading turned out to be one of the best in my career. I had so much fun! The energy in the room was alive, vivid and fluid. The readers were all passionate about their words. Those who came to listen really did listen -- I remember well the feeling of being completely in the moment, sharing something delightful with a room full of people who were truly paying attention.

My reading came near the end of the Salon evening, so for much of the time I was one of those who sat back and listened. What a ride it was! There were tales that made me want to cry, and those that made me laugh out loud. The mood swung from serious and somber to raucous and fun. It was a rollercoaster ride of a night that hooked me from the first five minutes and made me want to do it again.

If you happen to be near the City of Brotherly Love and you need something to get your juices flowing -- in every way you can imagine -- then this is the place to be.

Tomorrow night is another hot evening at the Salon. If you're in the Philly area, why not go and enjoy? For more information, take a look at The Erotic Literary Salon website.

No comments: