Thursday, March 05, 2009

"Memphis" in Do Not Disturb: Hotel Sex Stories


Do you think hotels are sexy? Do you ever wonder what the couple in the next room are doing? Do you ever feel like a different person when you're tucked away in a hotel, hidden from the world in one of those rooms that have seen countless lovers, trysts, heartbreaks, heartthrobs, and other things you can only begin to guess?

You can find a bit of it all in Do Not Disturb: Hotel Sex Stories. You can find my story "Memphis" there as well. Here's a preview:

Is that how it started? Is that how affairs begin? With a simple gesture or word that suddenly turns an old friendship or a new stranger into a lover crying out above you in a rented bed somewhere on the edge of nowhere? Is it something that drops out of the blue and explodes like a bomb, fragmenting your life? Or is it something that plants inside you and grows into beauty and memories that evoke smiles, building you into something stronger than you once were?

I’ve discovered that for me and my married lover, it is a bounce in your step that everyone notices but can’t explain how it got there or exactly when it appeared. It is a phone call, a voice on the other end that is clearly a man yet when someone asks you who that was, you recall the name of your best friend who is clearly a woman. It is pulling up beside a sports car parked outside of a hotel in a town you’ve never visited before, an open door with the “Do Not Disturb” sign already in place. It is no time for words before you are rushed into a dimly lit room and surrounded by his arms, his voice, and his desire as you both collapse to the bed that has become your refuge.

He was married. I knew that as I walked with him out of the restaurant and slid into the passenger seat of his sports car. I heard her name in my head as he drove, one hand on the wheel and one hand on my thigh. I saw her in my head as the door closed behind us. I listened to her voice laughing with him as he pressed me back against that door and kissed me. I felt the guilt as I kissed him back, but I wanted him more than I wanted to heed the ethical conscience that was shaking its head in shame.

I didn’t hate her. I didn’t even want to hate her. She was my best friend. She was a good wife, a good mother. She was a better woman than me. She didn’t deserve this.

I slipped his wedding band off and it dropped to the floor.

Want to get the rest of the story and a few other naughty tales? Get your copy of Do Not Disturb: Hotel Sex Stories by clicking here.

No comments: